All applications must be certified by a competent Authority. These include: doctors of medicine, doctors of osteopathy; ophthalmologists; optometrists; registered nurses; therapists; professional staff of hospitals, institutions, and public or welfare agencies (e.g., social workers, case workers, counselors, rehabilitation teachers, and superintendents), or professional librarians In the case of a reading disability from organic dysfunction, certifying authority is defined as doctors of medicine (MD) and doctors of osteopathy (DO). No other signature is accepted for those checking reading disability. Applications without proper certification are not accepted.
- Individual Talking Book Services Application
- Institutional Application (Schools, Nursing & Medical Facilities)
- Annual Student Listing Form for Schools
- Audio books and magazines on digital cartridges with digital player
- BARD, the National Library Service’s downloading service via home computer or mobile app
- Popular magazines in audio and Braille
- Large Print books for low vision patrons
- Braille books via BARD (Web-Braille) or inter-library loan for patrons who read Braille
- Descriptive videos on DVD for blind and visually impaired patrons
- Talking Book Topics catalog of new audio titles
- Assistive technology devices for in-house use at the State Library
- Online catalogs for TBS, BARD, and National Library Service
*By policy, some materials may not be available to all patrons.
- Audio and large print books - 30 days with one renewal
- Descriptive DVDs - 7 days with no renewals
- There are no overdue fines on late materials
- Books are sent postage free, through regular U.S. mail, and are returned in the same manner.
- Materials have pre-addressed, postage-free mailing cards for easy return.
Placing an Order
Registered readers of the South Carolina State Library's Talking Book Services may place an order for talking books, large print titles, Braille books, or descriptive videos by phone, mail, fax, email or via our online catalog.
- Phone: Call 1-800-922-7818 or (803) 734-4611. Deaf or hard-of-hearing citizens may contact the South Carolina State Library by using Relay S.C. Dial 711 followed by 734-4611. Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, closed holidays. After hours, callers may leave messages. Callers with long title request lists should call during business hours.
- Mail Book Requests to: South Carolina State Library, Talking Book Services, 1500 Senate Street, Columbia, SC 29201
- Fax Requests to: (803) 734-4610
- Email Book Orders to: TBSBooks@statelibrary.sc.gov
- Log on to the Online Catalog: Please call the library at 1-800-922-7818 or (803) 734-4611 or send us an email at TBSBooks@statelibrary.sc.gov for a user ID and password.
Help us serve you better. When sending an order by mail, fax or email, or when leaving a message, please include the following information:
- First and last name with spelling.
- Address. (If there is more than one patron with the same name, the address will allow your request to be processed.)
- When ordering for someone else, provide that person's name and address. Please include your name and phone number as well.
Home Delivery of Materials
Books and materials are mailed as "Free Matter for the Blind and Handicapped" through the U.S. Postal Service and may be returned to the library the same way. No postage is necessary.